I struggle setting realistic goals.
When I don’t live up to the expectations I get disappointed in myself. Then I’m too hard on myself. So I set even more outlandish goals to compensate for missing the goals.
Hell, sometimes I just set too many goals. Or I set them and lose interest. Or I get in a rut. Or I forget about them.
Goals can be great. There’s nothing like crossing a big goal off a list. Or they can kill you if you don’t keep them in check.
So I’m trying something new. No timelines. No expectations. Just a short list of small personal goals.
I believe today each goal below will add happiness to my life. I may complete them. I may replace them with different goals. These are what I’m contemplating today.
10 Small Goals:
- Learn to crack an egg with one hand. Because I enjoy cooking and want to make fewer messes.
- Bench press 225 pounds 10x in one set. Because I want to get back in peak shape and this one will take commitment.
- Write 5 thank you notes. Because I would like to practice gratitude.
- Perform an act of service for a stranger for nothing in return. Because I’d like to work on compassion.
- Meditate once per day for 5 minutes (for 5 days). Because I’d like to get better at understanding my emotions.
- Entertain conversation without arguing with someone with a different point of view. Because I would like to get better at listening.
- Journal about something that made me laugh or something that made someone else laugh. Because life’s more fun when I’m not taking myself so seriously.
- Journal about something I’m struggling with and publish it. Because I’m convinced the best writing is honest – and I’d like to work on that.
- Journal about something that inspires optimism and excites me and publish it. Because it sounds fun.
- Journal descriptively about a happy memory. Because I want to.